Lead paint was used in homes and businesses throughout the 80s and is still being found in some properties. Many ask if lead poisoning is a real thing, and if it is as bad as people say. Lead poisoning is very real and can cause permanent problems and even death. Below we will discuss a few things about lead paint and lead poisoning to help you better understand the dangers.

Can I Have Lead Paint in My Home?

If your home is a bit older, it may have lead paint. Even remodeled homes have been known to have lead paint undercoats of newer paint. While it is less likely that you have lead paint in a newer home, it isn’t impossible.

Is Lead Paint Dangerous to Children?

YES! Lead paint is the most dangerous to young children, pregnant women, and the elderly. Young children are the most susceptible to lead poisoning. Young children explore things with their mouths and can be exposed to lead paint easily. Lead poisoning can cause seizures, learning problems, aggression, weight loss, and neurological disorders.

Can My Home Be Tested for Lead Paint?

Yes! All homes and businesses can be tested for lead paint. It is important that you hire a certified and licensed lead paint removal company to test your property. Samples will be taken from your home and tested. If you do have lead paint, it is recommended to have it removed as soon as possible.

Can I Leave Lead Paint in my Home?

While it isn’t recommended, it is your choice. If you have young children or the elderly in your home, it should be removed immediately. If someone in your home may become pregnant, it is in your best interest to remove the lead paint. Lead poisoning is very real and very dangerous. If someone is exposed enough, it can lead to severe illnesses and death.