Lead paint is not used anymore in the United States, but it was used for decades. Lead paint was found to cause lead poisoning, which could be deadly. Unfortunately, many older homes still contain lead paint. The lead paint is likely covered with coats for newer paint from remodels, but the lead paint is still there and can be a significant concern. Lead poisoning is a severe problem for children. It also affects the elderly and pregnant women. While children are more likely to have lead poisoning, it does often occurs in adults. Children tend to explore the world with their mouths, making lead poisoning more common in younger children.

Lead Poisoning Symptoms

Lead poisoning can cause devastating symptoms and illnesses in children, the elderly, and pregnant women. Children are affected the most from lead poisoning, and some of the symptoms include:

  • Memory Problems
  • Behavior Issues
  • Headaches
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Constipation
  • Tingling Extremities
  • Anemia
  • Seizures and Comas
  • Death

As you can see, these are serious medical problems that would need medical intervention. Lead poisoning can easily be avoided through lead testing from a certified professional. Lead testing is a simple test that is completed by a hazardous materials professional. They will take samples from your home and send them to a lab for accurate results. It is essential to have these tests conducted by licensed professionals, as some tests can be inaccurate.

If your home does contain lead, it will need to be removed as soon as possible. A hazardous materials company should remove the lead for you, as it will all need to be removed to ensure the safety of your children and family. If any lead is left behind, it can cause your family to become ill. If you live in an older home, whether it has been remodeled or not, have a lead test completed for your peace of mind!